This recipe is a revision of my previous cinnamon roll recipe and I have to say it’s *even better!* There is also the option to make sticky buns, rather than just “plain” cinnamon rolls. I included the icing/drizzle instructions, but you honestly don’t need icing and would not want it for the sticky buns.
- 460g (3 ⅔ cups) flour
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 1 cup non-dairy milk, warmed slightly
- 100g (about ½ cup) active sourdough starter
- 50g (¼ cup) sugar
- 200g (1 cup) brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter
- 40g flour (¼ cup)
- 1.5 tablespoons cinnamon
Pecan Topping (for sticky buns)
- 1 cup pecans (coarsely chopped)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 250g (½ cup) turbinado sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
Icing (for cinnamon rolls)
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1-2 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Mix flour and butter with hand or mixer until a sandy consistency.
- Add remaining dough ingredients and mix (if using a stand mixer, use dough hook). Mix with dough hook for about 5 minutes or mix and knead for 10 minutes until it comes together into a soft ball. Try not to add more flour, but if you have to, do so just a tablespoon at a time.
- Cover with a towel or lid (be sure there is room for it to rise) and set on the counter spot overnight or until it doubles.
- If you allow it to double and don’t have time to cook, you can make the rolls and then refrigerate!
- The next morning or after dough has risen, preheat oven to 350°F.
- To make the cinnamon filling, melt the butter and mix in the other ingredients. Pinch with fingers to mix well and get the cinnamon distributed.
- Lightly coat counter or cutting board and roll out dough into a rectangle (about ¼ to ⅓ inch thick) and spread the cinnamon evenly to all edges.
- From the long edge, roll the dough into a “log.”
- Use a sharp knife to cut your rolls about 1-2 inches in height. I did them about 2 inches this time, which resulted in 8 rolls.
- For cinnamon rolls – Place the rolls in a lined or non-stick baking pan. separated to allow for spreading.
- For sticky buns – Sprinkle the turbinado sugar across the bottom of a lined or nonstick baking pan. Add in the pecans, evenly distributed. Mix the butter and maple syrup and pour over the pecans and sugar. Then place the rolls in the pan, separated to allow for spreading.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes or until they are lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool. For sticky buns, only cool for 10 minutes and then remove from pan. For cinnamon rolls, cool as long as desired.
- For cinnamon rolls, if desired – While the rolls are cooling, mix the icing ingredients until smooth and then drizzle over cooled rolls.