I’m feeling a little dreary, so when a friend posted a picture of some lemon cookies, it seemed like exactly the right thing to bake. I scouted around online, read a bunch of recipes, reviewed my own shortcake recipes, shoved them all together, and this is what resulted!
- 1.5 cup vegan butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar or brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- oat or soy milk as needed
- Beat together the vegan butter and sugar until smooth and creamy.
- Sift and then slowly add the flour, mixing until combined. Dough will appear crumbly!
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Now you have 2 options. You can refrigerate for an hour, roll out to ¼-inch thickness and use a cookie cutter. Or, you can skip refrigerating and press into mini muffin tins.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, and then watch until golden on top.
- Cool on cookie sheet or in muffin tins for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Add oat or soy milk, a tiny bit at a time while whisking until the icing becomes smooth and is the consistency you like.
- Spread or drizzle icing over cooled cookies.
- Makes ~ 3 dozen