With the spouse fresh out of the dentist’s chair, me with a sore throat, and a crusty homemade sourdough to eat, soup seemed like the way to go with dinner. Pondering the available vegetables resulted in a plan for potato soup which turned out to be an A+ choice!
Cheezy Potato Soup in the Instant Pot
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 medium onions, diced
- 3-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups vegetable or faux chicken broth
- 3-4 lbs potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 3-4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 2 cups unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 1-2 cups shredded vegan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Faux bacon cooked crisp and chopped
- Chopped green onions
- More shredded cheese
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil in the instant pot for several minutes, then add garlic and stir for an additional few. Be sure to stir or the garlic will stick to the bottom and burn.
- Add the broth, potatoes, and carrots to the pot. Cook at high pressure for 10 minutes, then quick release the pressure.
- Whisk the flour into the milk and set it aside.
- After the pressure releases fully, add the flour and milk slurry and be sure it is well stirred. Then add the nutritional yeast. Turn the pot back onto sauté and cook while stirring until it begins to thicken (this should take about 5-7 minutes, depending on your specific pot). Then add in the cheese and stir to allow for melting.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with desired optional add-ins and a nice crusty bread!