1/2 cup fine bulgar/bulgur wheat
1 cup boiling water
4 bunches flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 bunches mint, chopped
2 medium ripe tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
1/2 cup peeled, seeded, and finely diced cucumber
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Lemon juice to taste
- Pour boiling water over bulgar, stir and set aside. Cover with lid or wrap and allow to stand 20 minutes. Drain water and press bulgur in fine colander to dry more. Put in the fridge while compiling remainder.
- Wash, dry, and chop the veggies. You can alter the fineness of the chop to taste, but most people prefer pretty thinly diced herbs in this dish.
- Toss bulgur with the vegetables. Add oil, salt, and lemon juice and adjust as desired.
– If you want the more Americanized version of the dish, double everything but the parsley and mint. Many places in the U.S. serve this as a more grain heavy dish.
– If you don’t really like mint in your savory dishes, remove the mint but add 2 more cloves diced garlic and a small handful of thinly sliced green onions.
– This is excellent served in or on a toasted pita, over a bed of chopped romaine, or alone.