When you have some veggies and a trying to get creative, who knows what will happen?
- 2 Small Eggplants, peeled and cubed
- 4 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Zucchini, peeled and sliced
- 1 large (or 2 small) and diced tomatoes
- 2 cans of chickpeas or 3-4 cups prepared chickpeas
- 1.5 cups of water from chickpea cans or chickpea prep
- 1 bunch of kale, trimmed and chopped
- Pearl/Israeli couscous
- Vegetable broth
Salt eggplant and allow to sweat in a colander for 1 hour. Rinse and pat dry.
Sauté onion, peppers, carrots in olive oil for 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and spices. Cook an additional 3 minutes. If you do this in a cast iron pan, you’ll have one less pan to clean later!
Add tomatoes, chickpeas and chickpea liquid, eggplant, and zucchini. Bring to a boil, add kale, and allow to cook at a low boil for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400*
Transfer the whole shebang to the oven and bake for 40 minutes. Check at 20 minutes and add additional water if necessary.
Meanwhile, prepare your couscous in broth according to directions.
Serve stew with a heap of couscous and a drizzle of olive oil, a spoon of yogurt or sour cream, and some olives.