We recently started using Imperfect Foods, which is great because it sends me vegetables and fruits that I didn’t plan to get, and then once I do, I think about what to make with them! Last night, it was this rich and delicious soup.
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 head cauliflower, broken up
- 2 bunches broccoli or broccolini, chopped
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 qt veg broth
- 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (I used soy)
- 1 bunch of kale, chopped roughly
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Sauté onions and carrots in butter until carrots start to soften.
Add flour and stir until vegetables are coated and no lumps remain.
Add broth and milk and whisk or stir to be sure butter and flour are distributed.
Add cauliflower and broccoli and cook until tender.
Using an immersion blender (or regular blender with top vented), blend to desired level of smoothness.
Add kale, salt, and pepper and simmer until kale is tender.
Serve with fresh bread.