Good morning! I hope you had a healthy breakfast today. I’m not going to tell you that I did – exactly – but it was delicious. Last night for dessert, I made sourdough strawberry shortcakes. I didn’t have any then, so I gave myself permission for a shortcake breakfast. So yummy!
There are many ways to do the cake/bread part of shortcakes, but I grew up having them as biscuits, so that’s what I made. Specifically, I used this Flaky Sourdough Biscuit recipe. The only change that I made was a little sugar on top before baking. They came out lovely!
While the biscuits were cooking, I made the strawberry topping. I made it with a wee bit of rhubarb, which you can’t taste much. It just gives a hint of something to the strawberry. If you like rhubarb (I love it, but not everyone in the house does), you can certainly add more here!
4 cups strawberries, cleaned and sliced
1-2 large rhubarb stalks, cleaned and chopped
2 cups water
4 cups sugar
– Add water and sugar to a pan, whisk, and cook over low-medium heat until the sugar dissolves.
– Add rhubarb and continue to cook until the rhubarb breaks up to the degree you want (if you like rhubarb, just get it tender; if you are not a fan, keep going until it pretty much dissolves when you stir it).
– When complete, remove from heat and allow to cool.
– Once cool, if you don’t really like rhubarb much, optionally use an immersion mixer to fully incorporate it into the sauce.
– Add berries and chill an hour or until you are ready to serve!