Ingredients sometimes create necessity! I had some sweet cherries unexpectedly and wanted to use them up. So this was the result.
- 1 pound cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
Crust & Topping Ingredients
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegan butter (I know)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare a 9 x 9 pan. Oil and/or line it with parchment.
- In a saucepan, add cherries and sugar and place over medium heat until warmed through.
- Combine cornstarch, vanilla and 2 tablespoons water, whisk. Add mixture into the cherries and stir. Gently crush cherries somewhat while stirring. This should thicken fairly quickly. Remove The cherries from heat when at the desired thickness and set aside.
- Food process (Or blend) flour, oats, salt and baking powder until fine.
- Add butter and pulse until mixture just begins to come together.
- Place 2/3 of oat mixture into your baking pan and press to form the bottom crust.
- Spoon cherry mixture over the crust, and then sprinkle the top with remaining oat clumps.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool at least 1 hour before slicing